Monday, January 7, 2013

Searching for a Cleft Team...

Well Searching for a cleft team was actually super easy.

The question is who does molding and who doesn't??

Who does it daily?

Who is recommended?

Who has the most experience!

Well we thought that question would be answered easy...

Of Course we live near Houston and what hospital is best in houston for Children?

Texas Childrens Hospital... well we were WRONG...
They did not do the molding... I dont know if they do now but they did not then.
That was such a shock, growing up you always hear that Texas Children's Hospital is the best.

So we reached out to the Doctor that the Maternal Fetal Medicine Doctor referred me to. Dr. Teichgraeber at UT Health Physicians... Made an appointment to meet with them in two weeks.
I was 27 weeks pregnant when we met with them. Immediately fell in love with Dr. T and Ruth! They answered all my questions! As Ruth says I "grilled them" with lots of questions. But I wanted to be ready, I wanted to feel prepared, as prepared as I could possibly be and they sure helped me do that. We knew we wanted to do the molding. We knew we had found OUR TEAM. We were ready. We found the special needs bottles. Talked to the hospital I was delivering at they had the bottles. I met with the pediatrician informed him of the cleft. We told friends and family. We knew everything was going to be alright and fall perfectly into place.

Oh and to add to this note we did all of this while building our new home. Sold our old home and had 15 days to move out, lived with my in-laws for 5 weeks until our house was ready! And I was a full time student. I was so busy but I think it helped keep my brain occupied on something other than cleft research.

When you first find out something is "wrong" with your child, you go through so many emotions. You ask why? What did you do? All kinds of emotions go through your head. I went through my calendar and text messages to see what I was doing during the cleft development weeks. I was making myself crazy, thinking that I did this to my sweet little girl. I had to come to terms with what is is and let it go.
You have some researchers that say it is genetic, some that say it isn't. Some that say its from taking the clomid. There is also the factor there is a 2-5% chance any other children we may have will also have a cleft.  That goes up from the 1% most people have that do not have any cleft issues in their family. I guess until they find out we will just continue to say "The man upstairs is the only one who knows"!!! He is the only one to answer the questions. And apparently he thought Jason and I could handle this and he will only give you what you can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment