Thursday, January 10, 2013

Molding? NAM? What does all of this mean!!! Plus Photobomb!

Ok! Moving on! What is molding? And what is a NAM? well if you live around my house or visit often you know the word NAM heck I think my nephew can even say it!
The NAM is the Nasal Alveolar Molding Device!!! Now you know why we call it a NAM!
Now I am going to copy and paste this part because it is easier!

A custom-fitted denture (molding plate) into the baby's mouth. Every week, careful adjustments to this molding plate gradually reshape the roof of the mouth and gum lines. The plate causes the bones of the upper jaw to grow toward each other rather than to grow farther apart. It also provides a barrier between the mouth and nose, which are open to each other in babies with cleft lip and palate. This can make it significantly easier for the baby to eat. Once the gum line is in closer approximation, a nasal extension is added that raises up from the forward edge of the molding plate and lifts the nose and nasal cartilages into place. This technique is especially important for children with bilateral clefts of the lip and palate. Effective application of this technique optimizes the initial surgical results and may even minimize the need for later "touch-up" surgery.

Wow I am so glad someone else typed all that out! This is what our NAM looks like. We started out with just the pink part and then we added the nose stents as you will see in the photos to follow. And I am very sorry but its not the easiest thing in the world to take a picture of!!!

This is the front of it...
 The Front!

The Back! So this is the part that goes in her mouth!

The first time you get it without the Nose stents it looks like this when its put in...


THIS IS MY FIRST DAY WITH NOSE STENTS...


Different NAM pictures.. My newphews are making their blog debut too!




 THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN MY TAPE IS LOOSE AND I NEED TO BE RE TAPED...

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN I GET MAD AND PULL IT OUT!!!! Sometimes I dont mean to but my little fingers wrap around the Stents really good!!! 



NEXT Blog I am going to show you the pictures from the dentist office and all that it has done...

No comments:

Post a Comment