Wednesday, January 16, 2013

It Was Not Easy But It Didn't Kill Us

Well we made it through the NAM and as I look back asking myself the question would you do it again? Would you do it again if you had too? Well I am going to say YES! It wasn't that terrible. And if Adley's cleft is something genetic and we happen to have another cleft baby then I will do it again. Now with that being said I am going to say there were days I called my dad and said I broke the NAM I need super glue and by the time you get here it may not be able to be fixed. Also, days that I called saying "Jason is working late and your granddaughter will not let me tape her I suggest you get over here fast." My grandma stayed with us in the beginning to help me with everything. And there were plenty of times that I would have to walk off after taping in the beginning because adley was screaming and I felt so bad. I would go lock myself in my room and just wait for her to calm down because I felt terrible for making her scream like that. Then did it become a game! yes I would play with her as I taped her and she would laugh! I would put a piece on and say "I got you" did she still fuss when I actually put the mouth piece in. Yes but it was a quick fuss and then she was over it. She learned to love the NAM. She was always smacking on it.. and of course loved to pull it out just to make mommy crazy. So with all that being said the NAM was an adventure. With lots of WORK, good days, bad days, days that I just let her go without, days she wouldn't go a min without it in, one night she screamed until i put it back in even though it had rubbed a sore in her nose, so I just bent the nose pieces up and put it back in. So I guess with that being said I pray to god if and when we decide to have more children we dont have to do it again but in the spectrum of things "It didnt kill me"...

Now the things we could have never gone with out...

SKIN PREP bought on Amazon
and
Detachol also bought on Amazon.

We did skin prep before we put the tape on and Detachol to get the tape off without tearing up her face.

So now its surgery time...

Today is wednesday and surgery is friday! I have started packing a bag even though its outpatient I packed some things for me as well in case we have to stay. A special thanks to the other cleft mom's for the what to pack ideas.

Whats in our bag:

5 sets of Jammies (in case she has nose stents I don't want anything to go over her head another family had an accident taking off a onesie and we will wear Jammies as long as she has nose stents to avoid that.)

2 Blankets

Her favorite Minnie Mouse blanket her Aunt Cortney made her

Her bear violet that came from another special cleft family gave us! Thank you (Trey, Lindsey, and Kiptyn). She loves that bear!

The projector toy that projects pictures on the ceiling.

The Soothing vibrating lady bug by Eddie Bauer.

Mommy a set of Jammies an clothes.

All these things can be washed if they get blood on them!!!!!

Emotions:

Adley has been the happiest baby this week so it has taken a big toll on me. She just doesn't have a clue what is happening friday and I feel so bad for that. I have not slept very well, I have kissed her as much as I can, made her smile as much as I can, and held her all week. I have stayed up looking at the monitor, I have cried, and I have been very excited. I am going to miss that big wide special smile so much, but I am going to love her new smile too! I am so lucky to have a baby that can have two smiles for me to fall in love with.

We have said our prayers and so have many of you! So we will just continue to pray that everything goes smoothly, the doctor does a great job, and we have great results with little pain.

Friday is the big day I will keep all of you posted on facebook of how things are going starting at 5 am when we get to the med center.


1 comment:

  1. I truly believe unless you have gone through it, no one understands how much you miss their precious wide smile!

    ReplyDelete